The Government of Montserrat is seeking applications from suitably qualified persons for the position under the Technical Corporation Funding Programme of National Risk Mitigation Officer, within the Legal Department.
Montserrat as a self-governing territory of the United Kingdom and as such it is expected to meet several regional and international standards. These are design to promote good governance, reduce risk to residents, bring the operations of the state in line with international standards in order to reduce any likelihood of adverse labelling to Montserrat and the UK by extension.
Montserrat is currently:
- Full member of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS)
- Full member of the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU)
- Full member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM)
- Member of the Global Forum/ OECD
- Member of Caribbean Financial Action Task Force (CFATF) subject to implementing the requirements in the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) 40 Recommendations and therefore Montserrat has several commitments and obligations to these organisations.
Some of the reviews and assessment to rate compliance with these obligations are due to be undertaken within the next two years. The person engaged will be responsible for taking the lead on co-coordinating Montserrat’s preparation for these upcoming regional and international reviews.
Responsibilities will include
- Conduct an audit of all the work done so far in seeking to meet the obligations in advance of the upcoming reviews.
- Coordinate the work of the agencies/ departments/ Ministries in preparation for the upcoming reviews.
- Prepare the relevant reports identifying the gaps in the legislative framework; the deficiencies that exists between procedure and practices against international standards in respect of prevention and detection of money laundering and the financing of terrorist and the OECD standards for exchange of exchange of information,
- Lead the preparatory work to remedy the deficiencies and mitigate risks identified,
- Be the focal point for local, regional and international stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience
As a minimum Applicants should possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Law, Business Administration, Finance, Economics, Accounting or other related field;
- At least five (5) years’ experience required at a senior management level dealing with matters Taxation, Tax Transparency, Proceeds of Crime, Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing;
- Sound knowledge of:
- The FATF 40 Recommendations and Standards
- OECD guidelines on Transparency and Exchange of Information for Tax Purposes
- Proceeds of Crime legislation;
- Knowledge of Regional and International treaties, agreements and conventions in the areas of Taxation, Tax Transparency, Proceeds of Crime, Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing would be an asset;
- have a working knowledge of, and ability to interpret the Laws of Montserrat;
- possess a working knowledge of, and an ability to interpret legislation, rules, regulations, agreements and other legal documents;
- demonstrate decisiveness, soundness of judgment and clarity of presentation;
- have knowledge of Government procedure and practices;
- possess analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to make interpretations and sound recommendations;
- possess sound interpersonal and organisations skills, leadership qualities and the ability to effectively motivate others;
- possess the ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- be computer literate.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a contractual basis for a period of three (3) years.
The basic remuneration package per annum for this post is as follows: -
- Basic Salary - EC$76,620 p.a. (Taxable)
- Telephone EC$ 00 p.a. (taxable)
- Travel EC$ 9, 600 p.a.
- A Housing Allowance of $36,000 (taxable) per annum and a Market Premium of $97,940.00 (taxable) will be payable where applicable.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply send:
- Your completed Application Form (this can be obtained from our website jobs.gov.ms)
- By mail to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Office of the Deputy Governor, P. O Box 292, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat, by 11th February 2022.
Only applicants short-listed will be contacted.