The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Housing Officer II, within the Ministry of Agriculture, Lands, Housing and the Environment.
To provide administrative support to the Director of Housing and oversee the operational responsibilities of the Housing Unit.
Main Responsibilities Include the following but not limited to:
- To provide administrative support to the director of Housing in accordance with government’s policies and procedures as well as contribute to the overall successful performance of the Housing Management Team.
- Process (in a timely manner) all applications for housing in accordance with the approved service standards.
- Record and acknowledge all applications for housing
- Carry out due diligence checks to verify information presented in each application
- Complete a housing needs assessments for each applicant
- Assign code numbers
- Ensure prompt and appropriate response to queries made by housing applicants and/or recipients of housing assistance.
- Work closely with the Montserrat Land Development Authority, the Housing Officer (1) Policy and planning and other members of the housing operations team to provide regular reports to the Director of Housing on the progress of GoM housing programmes, the effective demand for housing, and stakeholder/client feedback.
- Manage the housing information systems/registry.
- Primarily responsible for the compilation of housing data.
- Maintain a registry of all government – owned public housing properties (social housing programme)
- Ensure that accurate and up-to-date information is made available on request to the Housing Officer (1) Policy and Planning and the Director of Housing.
- With the approval of the Director of Housing to disseminate information to the public and other stakeholders.
- Undertake regular inspection of public housing units (at the time of hand-over) and other emergency shelter units in accordance with guidelines approved by GoM.
- Work closely with the Community Services Department to determine the housing needs of vulnerable groups to guide policy formulation and programme development.
- Work closely with Senior Clerical Officer to monitor and report on the expenditure of GoM/DFID funded housing projects to prevent budget over-run and ensure deliverables.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and estimates for housing projects and programmes.
- Serve as Recording Secretary at community meetings and as requested by the Director of Housing.
- Prepare quarterly reports on the Unit’s operational plans and achievements,
- Adhere to principles of good governance in the execution of administrative duties,
- Comply with the approved GoM Land and Housing policies and other relevant regulations.
- Work in close collaboration with the Director of Housing to complete housing research projects:
- Liaise with Government and non-governmental agencies and interest groups to facilitate the development of appropriate housing response strategies.
- Supervise housing sector research activity.
- Generate information needed to assist the development of Government’s housing policies.
- Update the housing register on a weekly basis.
- Interview applicants for housing, advice on housing options and recommend appropriate housing solutions.
- Complete the housing needs assessment for each applicant.
- Assist with the analysis and interpretation of data to inform housing policy and programmes.
- Generate quarterly reports on the demand for housing.
- Supervise the management and use of Government-operated emergency shelters.
- In discussion with the Director of Housing, prepare work plans relevant work plans (to include those of other staff members).
- Determine schedule of activities to gather information.
- Schedule and organize regular meetings of the various housing committees and other interest groups.
- Plan and organize meetings of the Housing and Land Allocation Committee (HLAC).
- Assist with the orientation and training of the Senior Clerical Officer and other support staff.
Key Skills Requirement (Experience and Knowledge)
The applicant should possess:
- Holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Housing Studies, Management Studies, Social Work or related discipline.
- Have at least five (5) years’ experience in a middle management position.
- Has experience and skills in budget planning and preparation.
- Possess good accounting skills and be conversant with Government’s Smart Stream Accounting System.
- Be computer literate in Microsoft word, excel, access power point.
- Have good negotiating skills.
- Effective communication and report writing skills.
- Demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of GoM’s housing policies and strategies and the available housing options.
- Have basic knowledge of construction to be able to assess the value and standard of construction.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be on a permanent basis.
The salary scale for the post is R22 –R16 that is, EC$50,976.00 to $60,480.00 per annum.
Transportation: $9,600.00 per annum
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resource Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234. Certified copies of qualifications, as well as the names of two referees and a recent police certificate/record must be submitted with your application.
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resource Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resource Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
The deadline of receipt of applications is March 4, 2022