The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Assistant Secretary, within the Public Service of the Government of Montserrat.
To provide the Senior Manager with an efficient office management support system, particularly in the areas of human resources management, policy and financing (accounting and budget management) to enable the effective delivery of the Departments Strategic Objectives.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES, include:
- Monitor the Ministry/Department Development to include working with managers to identify resourcing requirements and ensure that the headcount is effectively managed and costs controlled;
- Assist with HR Policy and Systems Support and provide guidance to employees of HR policies, procedures and practices.
- Coordinate the resourcing function of the Ministry/Department, incorporating best practice attraction, assessment and selection techniques, and implement the Performance Management System;
- Oversee employee relations of the Ministry/Department including supervising the administration of service rules and regulations concerning conditions of service, effective employee communications and the handling of leave matters, grievance, disciplinary and performance issues;
- Assist with Employee Engagement, Change Management and Communications; strengthening employee engagement and ensure effective communication tools are embedded in the Ministry/Department.
- Facilitate the implementation process for all new policies and initiative through assisting managers to understand and employ effective change management techniques and incorporating these into the formal structures and systems of the Ministry/Department.
- Monitor Performance and Evaluation; supervise and participate in HR absence and Leave Audits, analyse data and prepare reports on the same;
- Undertake and promote objective-based performance assessment of team;
- Research and compile information to assist with the preparation of policy papers, strategic and management documents;
- Oversee the accounting processes, monitor and control expenditure to ensure value for money is obtained and reports on the performance of the Ministry/Department against revenue collection, expenditure and outputs;
- Coordinate and assist in the preparation of the Ministry’s/Department’s budget, monitoring of the budget, financial reporting and respond to audit queries;
- Assist with orientation of staff to the Public Service and arrange on-the-job training interventions, as required;
- Represent the Ministry/Department on Boards/Committees, along with performing a lead role on related strategic initiatives.
PERSON SPECIFICATION/KEY SKILLS REQUIREMENTS (Qualifications, Experience and Interpersonal):
The Applicant should possess:
- a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized tertiary institution (with emphasis in Human Resources or Public Administration, Management or Business Administration, Financial Management or Management Studies) OR a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in HR related environment with demonstrated knowledge and experience of HR best practices or Financial Management.
- held a position at the EO (R28-R22) or an equivalent level, for at least five (5) years with supervisory experience
- proven experience in formulating policies and directing diverse programmes to achieve results;
- good working ethics which include knowledge of the Financial Regulations, General Orders and other regulatory Manuals governing Public Service operations;
- excellent communication (oral & written) skills and presentation skills;
- supervisory and team leadership experience;
- the ability to work with all levels of staff and management;
- strong interpersonal and influencing skills;
- have proven experience in overseeing human, financial, information and programme resources;
- have demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) applications.
Salary is in the scale R22-16, that is EC$50,976 to EC$60,480 per annum (taxable).
Depending on the final posting within the Public Service, the successful applicant may be entitled to a Travel Allowance of EC$9,600.00 per annum provided that the Officer possesses and maintains a vehicle in a road worthy condition and uses it for official travelling – GO 519.
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms. (Click on ‘Forms’). Application forms can also be obtained from the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1 (664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at 1 (664) 491-6234.
Applicants must provide all of the following information:
- A completed Application Form with a covering letter
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae with full particulars of experience, and copies of relevant academic qualifications.
- Original certificates of qualifications or official notarized copies
- A clear statement detailing why in the applicant’s view he/she considers him/herself well qualified for the position
- Two letters of reference with full contact details of the referees
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resources Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to participate in a selection process that involves attending one or more interviews and/or assessment centres. These interviews are designed to assess the skills, competencies and attitudes of the applicant and may be conducted via SKYPE or Zoom or Teams. The Interviews and/or Assessment Centres allow the Selection Panel to draw on more evidence about the applicants than can be derived from the written application.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is 4:00 p.m. Friday, October 29th 2021.