Category: Montserrat Created on Monday, 25 February 2013 05:40
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Director of Tourism, Montserrat Tourist Board.
About the Job
The main aim of the job is to achieve significant growth in tourism numbers and tourism spending in Montserrat. The selected applicant will be expected to maintain strategic leadership in the Montserrat tourism industry, positioning Montserrat competitively in specialist tourist markets. The Director will seek increased investment in the tourism sector which will contribute significantly to Montserrat’s economic development. In addition, the Director is expected to effectively lead the portfolios assigned to the Montserrat Tourist Board in accordance with agreed policies and plans.
1. A degree in Tourism and Hospitality Management. A post graduate qualification in Tourism and/or Hospitality Management and membership in a relevant international organization would be assets.
2. Minimum of five to seven years of active participation in a leadership and/or management role in the tourism industry.
3. Substantial experience in Project Management and project formulation.
4. Proven problem solving and analytical skills at a strategic level.
5. Excellent verbal and writing skills to enable high level communications in presentations and dialogue with regional and international partners.
6. Experience in designing and organizing tourism promotion events and programs.
7. Excellent interpersonal communications skills.
8. Excellent administrative and personnel management skills.
9. Excellent knowledge and skills in use of up-to-date technology and software ( MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
Special Personal Qualities and Requirements:
1. Propensity to maintain positive work attitude in a resource constrained environment.
2. Honesty, integrity and a set of values that encourages productive work in others.
3. Willingness and ability to travel extensively by air and sea.
4. Willingness to work at times outside normal working hours.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Direct the development and implementation of annual Strategic Tourism Development and Marketing Plans, working closely with tourism stakeholders to develop the industry effectively.
2. Champion, direct and manage projects assigned for tourism development on Montserrat, to include the continuation of phases of the TDP projects, and chairmanship of related committees.
3. Lead the portfolios assigned to the Montserrat Tourist Board in accordance with agreed policies and plans.
4. Provide leadership in the area of Cultural and the Arts.
5. Actively demonstrate outputs towards the achievement of set targets in terms of visitor arrivals and visitor expenditure.
6. Provide leadership in the areas of destination management and marketing and performs the role of chief marketing spokesperson for Montserrat in local, regional and international arenas.
7. Generate positive press and favourable articles and documentaries about Montserrat as a tourism destination.
8. Improve decision-making in tourism policy, planning and investment through the usage of up-to- date tourism intelligence.
9. Oversee the implementation of a system of standards with appropriate legislation, related to the development and management of quality tourism products and services in Montserrat.
10. Ensure the provision of local programmes which would build and sustain the tourism sector.
11. Stimulate closer public/private sector collaboration and cooperation with the local industry and other key stakeholders.
12. Secure technical assistance and direct support from external agencies, organizations donor agencies and development institutions.
13. Identify and address the strategic human resource needs of the tourism sector.
14. Direct the development of public education programmes for the general public which would increase awareness of tourism issues, while generating increased participation and support of the public.
15. Ensure effective public access to tourism and tourism-related information.
16. Support the function of the members of the Montserrat Tourist Board.
For complete details of the post, please see the Scope of Works as posted on www.jobs.gov.ms
The remuneration package for this post is as follows: -
- Basic Salary: On a scale of $78,000 to $93,120 per annum (taxable)
- Travelling Allowance: $9,600 per annum
- Entertainment: $3,600 per annum
- Telephone Allowance: $720 per annum (taxable)
- Gratuity will be paid on successful completion of the contract at a rate of twelve and a half percent (12 1/2%) of basic salary.
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a contractual basis for an initial period of two (2) years.
How To Apply
Full details of the position may be obtained by accessing the Montserrat Tourist Board’s web site at www.visitmontserrat.com or www.jobs.gov.ms.
Telephone contacts: 664 491 2230 or 664 491 8730.
Applications with full curriculum details, including nationality, date of birth, work experience, educational qualifications, summary of professional skills and/or expertise,
All applications must be submitted on or before Monday 25 March 2013.
SCOPE OF WORKS - DIRECTOR OF TOURISM
Destination Marketing (Market Research, Promotions, Product Development)
1 Directs the development and implementation of the annual Strategic Tourism Development and Marketing Plan.
1.1 Ensure the implementation of a Strategic Tourism Development and
Marketing Plan for the Montserrat tourism sector in conjunction with the local public and private sector leaders of the tourism industry with direct reference to the Tourism Develop Plan 2012 - 2022.
1.2 Set measurable targets for each Montserrat Tourist Board staff member to achieve with respect to the activities and programmes detailed in the marketing plan.
1.3 Ensure all marketing actions are aimed at specified target markets and distinguish between consumers and travel trade intermediaries in each segment
1.4 Provide leadership in the areas of destination management and marketing and performs the role of chief marketing spokesperson for Montserrat in local, regional and international arenas.
1.5 Direct the execution of Montserrat’s destination marketing strategy to achieve growth targets for tourist arrivals and spending (as defined in the tourism marketing plan).
1.6 Achieve agreed, pre-set objectives and targets in the areas of greater brand awareness, increased business contacts and actual sales from events by participating in specially selected overseas trade and road shows.
1.7 Achieve set targets in terms of visitor arrivals and visitor expenditure through the development and maintenance of relationships with key wholesalers, tour operators and retail travel agents who promote and sell the destination.
1.8 Generates positive press and favourable articles and documentaries about Montserrat as a tourism destination by establishing and maintaining
strong relationships with international travel writers and regional and international press and trade publication.
1.9 Achieves specific targets in terms of desired number of visitor arrivals from the Caribbean market and forms strategic alliances with nearby Caribbean countries and their travel and tourism agents to generate new Caribbean business.
2 Ensure a viable Tourism Strategy for Montserrat is in place.
2.1 Undertake an annual review of Montserrat’s tourism industry, working closely with tourism stakeholders in the light of the institutional environment needed to develop tourism effectively, identifying areas of strength and weakness and feeding this information into the Board’s annual business plan.
2.2 Identify and analyse Montserrat’s distinctive tourism features and the types of tourists to which these features should appeal. In light of international standards, examine critically the competitiveness of Montserrat’s tourism products/services and prioritise actions to improve or rehabilitate visitor attractions.
2.3 Maintain a comprehensive database of tour operators and other tourism intermediaries featuring or involved with Caribbean tourist destinations.
2.4 Improve decision-making in tourism policy, planning and investment by providing up-to- date tourism intelligence on the performance of the main tourism markets and on global, regional, national tourism trends and developments which impact on the local industry.
2.5 Oversee the implementation of a system of grading, classification,
standards and legislation related to the development and management of quality tourism products and services in Montserrat.
2.6 Review relevant tourism documentation, to include but not limited to:
- CHL Tourism Strategy NTSP
- Montserrat Tourism Development Project Phase I Project Memorandum 2004-2006
- TDP3 Proposals
- MTB Quarterly Reports 2006 -2010
- MTB Business Plans; 2006-2009
- MTB Marketing Strategy 2007
- DFID TDP OPR Aug 2006.
- Montserrat Visit Report by DFID PSD Adviser August 2006
- MDC Project Memorandum + Appendices
- Private Sector Development Project Memorandum + Appendices
- Centre Hills Socio Economic Assessment 2006 + Appendices
- Feasibility Study Report for Ferry Service March 2005
Public Education and Information
3 Communicate and consult effectively with stakeholders on tourism development issues.
3.1 Direct the development of public education programmes for the general public on: (i) the various elements of Montserrat’s tourism plan (ii) the impact of tourism on Montserrat’s economy and (iii) how they can increase their participation and involvement and derive greater benefits from the tourism sector.
3.2 Provide access to tourism and tourism-related information including the generating of tourism information bulletins, press releases, press briefings etc. to disseminate important information on tourism issues.
3.3 Attend and actively engage in key tourism events.
3.4 Organise surveys of major tourist markets (USA, UK, Caribbean) to identify the potential of each for Montserrat, including trends in demand in the sub-segments of eco-tourism, activity/soft adventure, ornithology and education.
3.5 Organise and conduct research into patterns of demand and buying preferences of tourists in Montserrat. Analyse the purchasing behavior of market segments with potential for Montserrat in terms of product preferences, prices paid, channels, timing, media consulted, etc.
3.6 Stimulate closer public/private sector collaboration and cooperation by maintaining regular contact and dialogue with the local industry and other key stakeholders.
Institutional, Financial and Project Management
4 To facilitate and support the role of the Board of Directors;
4.1 Provide a secretariat for meetings of the Board of Directors, organize documents and information for the meetings, attend such meetings as requested by the Board.
4.2 Service the needs of the Board of Directors and implement the decisions of the Board in accordance with established procedures and instruction.
4.3 Prepare and present periodic reports and submissions as requested and
required by the Board of Directors.
4.4 Performs any other duties as required by the Board of Directors.
5 To ensure that the Board’s finances are appropriately managed;
5.1 Ensure that the Board’s financial controls and monitoring procedures are effective and efficient, and are coordinated effectively with GoM’s financial procedures. Set up and manage regular financial and performance monitoring meetings with staff, Directors and GoM.
5.2 Secure technical assistance and direct support from external agencies
and organizations such as the World Tourism Organization, the Caribbean Tourism Organization, the Caribbean Hotel Association, donor agencies, development institutions etc. by maintaining regular contacts and dialogue with them.
6 Develop and implement donor financed projects effectively;
6.1 Contribute to the development of a well-researched and articulated Project Memorandum with log frame, timescales and budgets, to secure donor financing generally. More specifically for 2013, contribute to the development of a project memorandum to secure DFID funding to implement Phase 3 of the Tourism Development Project TDP3. Hold annual monitoring meetings with DFID to assess performance of the project, attend frequent meetings with the Board and be Chairperson of related committees as instructed by the Board.
6.2 In conjunction with community leaders and organizations, direct or coordinate the development and implementation of community-based tourism projects so that the local population can derive direct financial benefits from the tourism sector and stimulate greater economic activity in the local community and in the country as a whole.
7 Produce and implement Annual Strategic and Operational Business Plan for MTB
7.1 Direct the development and implementation of the annual operating plan and budget of the Board, ensuring that all objectives are achieved.
7.2 Hold budget negotiation meetings with GoM in tandem with the development of the Board’s Business Plan. Where appropriate, identify and secure non-governmental and non-DFID sources of finance.
7.3 Prioritize actions and expenditures within the Tourism Marketing Plan according to budget but matched to growth in demand and tourism trends.
8 Lead, manage and develop human resources effectively;
8.1 Review, design, plan and implement optimum organizational arrangements for the Board including staff capabilities, responsibilities and deployment. Revise or draw up job specifications for each post.
8.2 Perform leadership and management roles, including goal setting, briefing, monitoring of performance and giving feedback to staff. Conduct annual performance appraisals and interim performance reviews and feedback.
8.3 Ensure that communication within the Board is highly effective. Organise and chair staff meetings. Organise effective communication channels between the board and other organizations in the tourism industry, both locally and regionally.
8.4 Provide daily management to the Montserrat Tourist Board secretariat staff, oversee the Culture division and the Montserrat Cultural Centre. Provide chairmanship as necessary of tourism related committees.
8.5 Identify and address the human resource needs of Montserrat’s tourism
8.6 Initiate and implement a plan of action for staff training on an annual basis.
8.7 Draw up and implement a tourism technical advisory programme for the Board, other tourism institutions and contributors to Montserrat’s tourism industry.
8.8 Provide training to the local community for the successful management of tourism projects, where required
Follow Us On Twitter
Market Place Adverts
J.Angelique Clothing is an expression of true Caribbean beauty. Each piece exudes vibrancy and a spirit of youthfulness, ideal for…