Category: Barbados Created on Tuesday, 26 June 2012 06:25
The Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) is seeking to fill the position of Deputy Director of Research.
The Deputy Director of Research is a management position within the Division of Research and Information Technology, reporting to the Director of Research and Information Technology. The Deputy Director will lead and oversee the technical aspects of the research function; supervise research staff and ensure timely tangible outputs of the Division. In addition, the individual will work closely with the CTO member countries’ tourism research and tourism statistics agencies as a partner in helping them achieve greater efficiency through capacity building and provision of technical assistance.
A key responsibility will be to identify and secure financial and human resources for the tourism research activities of the Division. Other responsibilities of the position are to:
• Assist in the development and execution of the Division’s work plans using effective mechanisms to identify and incorporate prevailing member needs and requirements.
• Contribute to the determination of departmental and individual research goals and provide routine evaluations of progress toward these goals.
• Lead a team of research staff in the division.
• Through acceptable processes of performance assessments ensure adherence to professional standards and ethics of the research staff and private contractors.
• Identify and promote professional growth opportunities for staff which will also directly benefit the organization.
• Assist with the development and oversight of budgets and policies and procedures for the Research Division.
• Evaluate research tools and emerging technology, recommend appropriate acquisitions and coordinate vendor relations.
• Promote an awareness of the goals and accomplishments of the Organization on issues within the regional tourism research development agenda.
• Spearhead the promotion and manage the delivery of appropriate tourism related research services to generate revenue for the organization.
• Deputize for the Director when necessary.
• Perform other duties as assigned from time to time. The Deputy Director of Research will be called upon to regularly brief the Director and management on progress, prospects and opportunities. Particular challenges will include maintaining the research focus on crucial areas of the regional tourism landscape and providing necessary intelligence to the CTO membership and wider tourism community though effective publication and communication media.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Must possess advanced skills in research including a track record for producing and presenting tangible deliverables in a timely and acceptable fashion.
Specific skills and qualifications include:
• Understanding of research methodologies and ability to apply such knowledge to the Caribbean Tourism Research landscape.
• Strong analytical skills, including expertise in the modeling and analysis of data.
• Strong communication skills, with the ability to present and disseminate research findings in a way that will be engaging and useful to a variety of audiences
• Ability to judiciously determine the manner of communication and dissemination of new research findings to our membership.
• Computer skills, particularly utilizing Advanced Statistical Software (e.g. SPSS) and the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
• Ability to foster CTO member relationships that lend to the smooth coordination of regional tourism research systems.
• Demonstrated record of initiative, problem solving and adaptability.
• Ability to write project proposals to meet the requirements of international and regional financial institutions and donor agencies
• Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Proficiency in another language would be a valuable asset.
• Knowledge of the regional tourism sector.
Minimum qualifications for the position include a Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Tourism or a relevant field in social science and ten years post-graduate experience in research especially related to tourism including two years in a supervisory role. Administrative experience in project management, implementation and evaluation is desirable.
The Deputy Director must also possess an ability to think strategically, delegate responsibility, build consensus and communicate and advocate effectively in an organization that caters to a diverse membership, with varying needs.
Interested candidates must supply a letter of interest and curriculum vitae which includes the names of two persons, with their contact information, who can act as references. Applications can be made by mail, fax, electronically or submitted by hand to the CTO office in Barbados. All applications must be addressed as follows:
Application for the post of Deputy Director of Research
Attn. Director of Human Resources
Caribbean Tourism Organization
Ground Floor, Baobab Tower
Warrens, St. Michael, Barbados
Tel: (246) 427-5242; Fax: (246) 429-3065
The deadline for applications is 20 July, 2012
Follow Us On Twitter
Market Place Adverts
Kids In Need of Direction (KIND) is a charitable organization founded in 1996, with the aim of providing assistance to…